Make Your Order From My Top Reading Picks

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

To uphold the Constitution...

Those are words spoken during the oath of the inauguration ceremony for the President of the United States.

I have been watching the HBO special "John Adams". My reading of the amazing book by David McCullough was a such a joy for me. I am intrigued by history and enjoy the history of our great country. To experience what took place through this grand book of our country, and its founding fathers, written to such detail and emotion to the time was a pleasure. This adaptation of the book for the 16 hour HBO series was done so well with an amazing acting staff. I recommend it highly.

It has given me a time to reflect on an aspect of my life that I am going through at this time, called complacency. I have come face to face with it. I have always been a person that believes that life is best when in motion. When something is pushing one forward with energy and vitality. When there is something that one looks forward to and is challenged by. Much like the men and women that forged an independent thinking trail that became these States United.

I have allowed some of the air to be let out of my sails as of recently. My challenges have slowed with lessening vigor. Due to this other hurdles have arisen based on the lack of attention to the previous challenges I had set out for myself. I have come to the realization that life had become complacent. I am not happy about finding myself in this situation. My wife and I have discussed this at length and have begun to find new avenues to create change and push ourselves into new territories and goals. We are setting out to a new open course to complete the initial challenges and move forward into these new goals and ideas.

The founding fathers and their countrymen and women fought hard for a feeling and life that they wanted to create for themselves. Their plight was to leave them either free from England and it's King or perhaps to be killed as traitors found guilty of high treason. But fought for freedom they did. It is because of them that we are able to enjoy the life of America.

But, we have become complacent as a country. Our leaders have quietly stripped away at our Constitution right before our eyes. We have not done anything about it! Where have the feelings of our quest for freedom gone. The current administration has shown us just how complacent we have become by chiseling away at the words and legality of them within the Constitution. Yet, when the oath of office was taken those words that were spoken, "to uphold the Constitution", were filled with lies.

The modern men and women leaders have not been challenged by those with whom we elected to the House and Senate and expected to do so. The administration is doing what they wish and have worked angles and or shown blatant disrespect to their oath of "to uphold the Constitution".

Our complacency has shown us how far off the path we have become.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yep, I think complacency is my/our affliction in a variety of ways, have been thinking a lot about that recently.
But, the politics of it, well, I just can't abide anymore Repub Supreme Court justices...amongst other things...so Dem it is.
I'm hoping there's still time to 'take it back' and get this country including my complacent self on the right path once again.
Good post : )
- Zen Lill

Anonymous said...

Yes we have lit a fire under our asses or someone did! I am grateful for the motivation as challenging as it is sometimes...I am accepting and being okay with it all. It certainly has opened up our minds and we are thinking again and taking action. Progress. Remember when I blogged about this? We did get a bit complacent but we are off and running again and I am excited. Thank you for being such a great partner in life.