Make Your Order From My Top Reading Picks

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Breathe...so my Ego can live...

When things begin to seem as though they are running away and getting out of control a good practice is to stop, breathe and exhale slowly. This act is an invaluable practice and simple in process.

If the opportunity is there just sit for a few minutes and listen to a bird sing, or perhaps enjoy the beauty and scent of a nearby flower. This act will revive and rejuvenate you in order to see your world and your situation in it. We tend to spend so much of our time with our Ego state in our modern society. We tend to forget that we and everything we know and see are all matter and energy.

There is nothing different about us and the flower, the bird, or the rock excepting the Ego that is creating the idea that there is a difference. When we are able to slow and allow ourselves to be we can catch a glimpse of our true selves again and our place in this cosmic chaos we have come to know and experience through along with our Ego as, Life. However, remember, that the bird is born, lives and dies. Just as we do. The flowers breath, bend and break just as we do. There is not much difference in it all once we can get past the Ego.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful advice that both of us need to do more often. Remember when we uses to take B for a walk and we would stop and sniff the roses and she would too? I miss that. Although we did that the other day in the midst of madness, and it really helped didn't it?

Sometimes stepping away and taking a breather is all one needs to calm the mind. It rejuvenates us so that we can think clearer. I always try to think, "Is this going to matter in a year?" If the answer is "no." which it usually is, then why worry. You give great advice; pay attention to it. I try to. When I am upset and you come over and hug me, it quiets me and brings me right to that moment - which is the most important moment - now.

Anonymous said...

I'm not really much of a nature person but I do understand the importance of taking a break every now and then. My life is starting to get a bit more hectic than before. With my academic, professional and personal life all happening at this point of my life, I need all the breaks I can get. Personally, I find that sleeping in the afternoons can really rejuvenate me and make me feel less stressed.